Beech Parish
Beech Parish  

History of Beech Key Dates

1100s- Wyards Farm built by Nicolas Wyard

1190  - Earliest reference in public records to the area around Wyards Farm as "La Beche"

1233  - King John granted the domain of the Selbourne Priory including Beech to the Bishop of Winchester

1308  - First Records of Thedden Manor

1467  - Beche divided for farming purposes among neighbourhood farmers

1483  - Wyards Farm passed to Winchester College

1484  - Selbourne Priory including Beech transfered to Magdelene College Oxford

1579  - Old Farm - still surviving - registered

1695  - Wellhouse Cottage completed

1892  - William Carter purchases the land comprising Beech from Magdelene College

1894  - Father Charles Hopkins establishes a community home for the Benedictine order ( Now Alton Abbey)

1899  - Post Office and off licence established

1931  - Village Hall Building acquired 

1936  - Electricity comes to Beech

1952  - Water Mains arrive in Beech

1975  - Mains Sewerage available to Beech Residents

1985  - Beech gains independence from Alton 

1994  - Mains Gas arrives in Beech

1999  - Beech Parish Council Established

2002  - Beech Village Design Plan Published in conjunction with EHDC

2010  - Beech New Village Hall opens

 

History pages of the Neighbourhood plan  

Print Print | Sitemap
© Anthony Ransley